These days, make up, manicures and spa treatments are climbing at unrealistic rates.
And me being a beauty addict, it has become almost impossible to budget the 8 dollar nail polish with the 30 dollar bottle of foundation and the 15 dollar body butter I pick up every so often.
With beauty products being so over priced I love it when I stumble upon a good bargain or do-it-yourselfer.
A week ago, while watching the news, Women's Day magazine was on showing these fabulous and kitchen friendly beauty masks to make. The great catch is that these simple masks require a few everyday ingredients that can be found in your kitchen!
Below are a couple of great masks and regimes that cater to whatever it is you're looking for whether it be a good firming mask, or an everyday cleanser!
AT HOME BEAUTY PRODUCTS.
1) EGG WHITE FIRMING MASK
It helps to tighten-up large pores and help saggy skin look firmer.
As with any beauty product, test a small amount on your hand to make sure you are not allergic. • The white of 1 fresh, cold medium egg
1 -1 ½ teaspoons of cornstarch
Combine the egg white and cornstarch in a small bowl.
Beat with a fork or whisk until it is foamy and blended. Make sure you beat out any lumps.
You can use your fingers to apply a thin layer of the mask to your face and neck. You'll want to lie down and allow the mask to dry.
In 15-20 minutes the mask will harden and you'll feel it tighten. Rinse and pat face dry.
This makes one application and should be used immediately.
2) STRAWBERRY & PEPPERMINT FACIAL CLEANSER
strawberries are a gentle astringent and their natural acid helps get rid of dead cells. Peppermint oil aids in refreshing the kin with antiseptic properties. great for oil, combination, or normal skin.
• 4 - 6 fresh, ripe medium strawberries sliced and remove the stems.
• 2 drops of peppermint oil
• Mash the strawberries. If you don't have a mortar and pestle you can use a small bowl and fork.
Squeeze the strawberry pulp with cheese cloth or mash through a small strainer. You want to collect the juice into a small glass.
• Add your peppermint oil and blend.
• Apply to your face and neck with a cotton pad, don't get it in your eyes. Massage with your finger tips for about a minute and rinse with cool water.
•This makes one application and you want to use it immediately, don't store it. The key is to have a FRESH face wash.
3 ingredients only: baking soda, distilled water, and helychrysum oil.
can exfoliate the skin and hel stimulate new cell formation
• 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda
• 2 ½-3 ½ teaspoons of distilled water
• 2-3 drops of helichrysum essential oil. This oil is know for it's anti-inflammatory properties as well as stimulating new cell formation and reducing the appearance of scar tissue and stretch marks.
• Combine all three ingredients into a small bowl. Mix until it's a silky smooth paste.
• Apply to face, neck and upper chest with your finger tips. Massage in a circular motion.
4) BELLY , BUM & BODY BUTTER
This vitamin enriched lotion softens and condition rough, dry skin
(sesame oil, beeswax, and lavender oil)
• 1 cup of sesame oil, macadamia oil, jojoba or avocado oil (your choice). We used sesame oil which is an antioxidant and rich with vitamins A and E and protein.
• 4 ½ tablespoons of beeswax, which helps the butter to thicken and adds a light honey fragrance.
• 20-30 drops of lavender oil
• In a small sauce pan over low heat combine your oil and beeswax. Warm until wax has melted.
• Remove from heat and add the lavender oil. Stir to blend.
• Pour into a storage container and let cool for about 20 minutes.
• Once cooled, seal container with lid. No need to refrigerate and use within 6-8 months.
• Great for the entire body.
5) BROWN SUGAR & COCONUT BODY SCRUB
helps exfoliate and moisturize the body
save $15-$ 20 with this formula that will cost you pennies.
• 2 cups of golden brown sugar
• 6-8 tablespoons of un-refined coconut oil
• 20-25 drops of essential vanilla oil
• In a medium-sized bowl combine sugar & coconut oil. If coconut oil is solid you may want to warm it over low heat until it melts.
• Blend well making sure you break-up all the lumps.
• Add the vanilla oil and continue to blend.
• Spoon into your container, seal the lid and your done. Scoop out as much as you like when taking a shower, gently rub into your skin and rinse.
• You do not need to refrigerate the scrub and it should be used within 6 months. You may see the coconut oil settle on the top which is normal and it will melt once you scoop some out.